Skip to main content

Have you claimed your tax relief on pension contributions?

By September 12, 2014February 12th, 2019No Comments

Are you one of the many individuals who have not yet claimed the higher rate tax relief on your pension contributions?

Would you like to know how we helped one of our clients claim £6,500 of tax back??

The Situation

Our client is a well-paid employee contributing £3,800 net per annum into their company group personal pension scheme. He recently met with our consultant to discuss his pension performance.

Rather than just conduct simple product reviews, our consultants always make sure that all of our clients’ money is working for them in the most effective way possible.

So, by asking the right questions and gaining a deeper understanding of his client, our consultant was able to uncover that they were not aware of any higher rate tax relief which might be due to them on their pension contributions.

Despite having always completed their own personal tax returns, our client realised that he had been overpaying tax for many years and decided the time was right to ask a professional to review his situation.

Our Solution

We reviewed the tax returns submitted over the previous three years and made appropriate Overpayment Relief claims to HMRC in respect of this period.

We also completed the current year’s tax return claiming the relief due much earlier than the deadline in January.


Our client received two cheques totalling almost £6,600 and was naturally delighted, saying that in respect of our fees for the reclaim, he said “this was the best money he has ever spent.”

He has asked us to look after his tax return going forward as he now understands first-hand the financial value of an expert pair of eyes, as well as the time and stress it saves him.

If you would like to see how we might be able to help you claim any overpaid tax back, please give us a call or drop us a line.